Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Gone, But not forgotten







" ..it shows us how strong the bond is between men and women in uniform and how wide it spreads. And we love you all.." -Gavin Richards.



Yesterday in the quiet of the cold morning, the kids and I made it to the beginning of the processional route for the Lakewood police officers' memorial. I tried to stress to Will and Katie that we needed to be reverent, just like at church, and they did really well. They covered their hearts, waved the flag, and thanked just about every car and truck.


After watching the memorial services, I really felt as though I knew Sgt. Mark Renninger, and Officers Tina Griswold, Ronald Owens and Greg Richards. Perhaps it's the connection of "uniform." It is upsetting that such tragedy took place, for us to appreciate and support the men and women who serve and protect. I might even go further and include those, who's military career requires giving of their life. May the words of our Prophet, Thomas S. Monson bring the spirit of comfort and confidence to all who are in need of love and peace:
"Despite the changes that come into our lives and with gratitude in our hearts, may we fill our days-as much as we can-with those things that matter most. May we cherish those we hold dear and express our love to them in word and in deed."

1 comment:

Teeps Peeps said...

Well said Jess. What a wonderful thing for your children to have parents who teach so much honor, respect, and gratitude for those people who serve and protect us.